Our Lady of Covadonga is a permanently closed Catholic parish in St. Louis City, MO. The parish was founded in 1915. The parish closed in 1932.
- Year founded: 1915
- Year closed: 1932 (17 years)
This was a Spanish mission in south St. Louis. “Jesuit priests had established a mission to serve the Spanish Catholics who had been settling in the Carondelet area since the turn of the century. Beginning in 1912, they operated out of St. Columbkille's Parish, and then out of St. Boniface Parish . . . until . . . Our Lady of Covadonga, led by a priest from Mexico, was established . . . As the Spaniards assimilated into the greater community, the parish permanently closed . . .” –Carondelet Historical Society Newsletter, Vol. 27, No. 2, p. 7.
The building is now St. Louis Byzantine Catholic Church.
Do you have additional information on this closed parish? Please share it with us so we can include it here.
Main image copyright St. Louis Catholic Archdiocese Archives