St. Elizabeth is a permanently closed Catholic parish in St. Louis City, MO. The parish was founded in 1873. The parish closed in 1951.
- Year founded: 1873
- Year closed: 1951 (78 years)
- Territory merged into: St. Malachy - St. Louis City
The parish was suppressed by Cardinal Ritter to encourage racial integration. When it closed, the parish territory was divided into Saint Malachy, Saint Nicholas, and Saint Bridget.
This is the second location of St. Elizabeth. The first location was at 14th and Gay Sts. After the 1927 tornado severly damaged the old church building, Fr. William acquired the Funkhouser-Walsh mansion (2721 Pine) to use as the Parish (God's Will, The Life and Works of Sr. Mary Wilhelmina). The mansion was built in 1858 by Robert M. Funkhouser, pioneer St. Louis merchandise broker and banker (St. Elizabeth's Church, St. Louis Globe-Democrat, 1949-11-19, page 3).
The building was demolished in 1951.
- St. Elizabeth Church and Rectory Razed - St. Louis Post Dispatch, Jan 6 1951
- St. Elizabeth Church Chosed, St. Louis Globe Democrat, Jan 6, 1951
- Photos of the mansion (2721 Pine Street) used as the church and rectory, 1936
- St. Elizabeth's Church diamond jubilee, St. Louis Globe-Democrat, Nov 19, 1949
- 2721 Pine, Bygone St. Louis Blog
Do you have additional information on this closed parish? Please share it with us so we can include it here.